Today we’re in conversation with 19-year-old, North London sensation Kenza Boutrif.
Kenza has been causing a huge sensation both on social media, where at last count she had over 700,000 followers on Instagram and in the fashion world with her recently ASOS Must haves edit, so we knew that we definitely had to get her in the hot seat and find out how she got started, what makes her tick and what’s next for brand Kenza!
Hi Kenza, tell us a bit about your background.
– I’m half Algerian and half Congolese. I was born in Belgium and grew up there until I moved to London when I was 6. I started my Instagram account when I was 13 and still in school by posting outfits, makeup and lifestyle content. People enjoyed what I was posting, I responded to what they liked and wanted to see while keeping true to myself and my style, so really it was a collaboration between me and my fanbase and it grew from there.
How did you find the move to London?
– I moved to Tottenham when I was 6 and grew up in Edmonton. It was really tough. I didn’t speak English, only French, I didn’t know anyone and had to deal with a new school, a new city and a new language all at once. It wasn’t easy and I felt like an outsider at times but step-by-step it got easier, my confidence grew and pretty soon I embraced London and London embraced me right back. I’m so grateful for the experience because I think overcoming the odds at an early age taught me how perseverance is incredibly important and that is something that I have carried with me throughout my career.
How long have you been modelling and how did you get your start?
– I started modelling 2 years ago after I was scouted by an agency through my Instagram page. It’s been an incredible opportunity and has opened up so many opportunities.
What advice would you give to aspiring influencers and models?
– Be yourself! Don’t hide away from what makes you unique. People recognise, invest and connect with honesty and that’s what builds a loyal following.
It’s also important to have long-term goals, don’t just drift. When you know what you are aiming for it’s much easier to remain focused and consistent.
What has been your proudest achievement so far?
– Without a doubt, my ASOS must haves edit. I still remember my first casting for ASOS, I was nervous and felt out of my depth and just 2-years later I’m the face of ASOS. I’m so grateful for the opportunity and to be recognised for my years of effort – it’s something I will never take for granted.
What can we expect next from Kenza?
– Lockdown has made me feel like I’m bursting with creativity. Like everyone, I’m desperate to get out and put all that creative energy to work. I’ve been working on some new projects that I can’t wait to release soon!