Britain’s best fish and chip takeaways and restaurants have been crowned – and the full list has been revealed.
Fish and chips is a dish synonymous with Britain, and consumers spend more than £1billion a year on the stuff – 382million portions.
Fish and chips were first served together at takeaways in 1860 but there’s some controversy about who came up with the idea first – the Malins of London or the Lees of Mossley, Manchester.
Now the very best outlets have been named in the latest Fry Awards.
There is no overall winner, as the top takeaways and restaurants have been lumped together.
The Fry Awards sent thousands of mystery diners out to fish and chip shops across the UK.
The judges marked each venue for the quality of its food, cleanliness, staff knowledge and professionalism – as well as other factors like social media presence.
They then came up with a list of the best 50 takeaways and 10 sit-down restaurants.
The winning takeaways had to score 96% or over, and restaurants had to achieve 95% and above.
Check to see if your local chippy is on these lists:
50 best fish & chip takeaways
- Alrewas Fryer, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- Auckley Friery, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
- Burnham Fish and Chips, Slough, Surrey
- Callaway’s Fish & Chips, Dorchester, Dorset
- East Coast, Musselburgh, East Lothian
- Catch Fish & Chips, Ashford, Kent
- Chips @ No.8, Prestwich, Greater Manchester
- Churchill’s Fish & Chips, Langney, Eastbourne
- Cods and Rockers, Tadley, Hampshire
- Croft Street Fisheries, Leeds, Yorkshire
- Davenport’s Fish & Chips, Louth, Lincolnshire
- David’s Fish & Chips, Brixham, Devon
- DJ’s Fish and Chips, Paignton, Devon
- Dunkeld Fish Bar, Dunkeld, Perthshire
- Eric’s Fish & Chips, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- Fiddlers Elbow Fish & Chips, Leintwardine, HerefordshireFish ’n’ Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset
- Fish Kitchen 1854, Maesycwmmer, Monmouthshire
- Fochabers Fish Bar, Fochabers, Moray
- Frydays of Kendal, Kendal, Cumbria
- Garioch Fish Bar, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
- Greg & Lou’s, Redruth, Cornwall
- The Little Chippy, Tyldesley, Manchester
- Heavenly On The Go, Crosby, Cumbria
- Hikary’s Fish Bar, Neath, West Glamorgan
- Hiks, Brynhyfryd, Swansea
- Hill Top Village Fisheries, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
- Howe & Co Van 19, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Howe & Co Van 22, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
- Howe & Co Van 66, Granborough, Buckinghamshire
- Land & Sea, Sowerby, North Yorkshire
- Low’s Traditional Fish & Chips – Berryden, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
- Marina Fish and Chips, Chapel St. Leonards, Lincolnshire
- Market Hill Fisheries, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire
- Moore’s Fish & Chips, Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Galloway
- My Plaice Fish & Chips, Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk
- Port Chippy, Amlwch, Anglesey
- Priory Plaice Fish and Chips, Ulverston, Cumbria
- Shap Chippy Mobile, Appleby, Cumbria
- St John’s Fish Bar, Warwick, Warwickshire
- The Cafe Royal, Annan, Dumfries and Galloway
- The Chippie Van, Penrith, Cumbria
- The Chippy, Dartford, Kent
- The Codfather, Northwich, Cheshire
- The Esk Cafe, Longtown, Cumbria
- The Fish at Goose Green, Wigan, Greater Manchester
- The Fish Bank, Sherburn in Elmet, Leeds, West Yorkshire
- The Fish Works, Largs, North Ayrshire
- The Golden Fry, Benllech, Anglesey
- The Lincolnshire Fryer, Market Rasen, Lincolnshire
- The Oyster Shell, Bath, Somerset
- The Plaice To Be, Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire
- The Village Fish & Chips, Orpington, Kent
- Tony’s Fish and Chips, Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire
- Towngate Fisheries, Idle, West Yorkshire
- Yan’s Fish Bar, Cardiff
- 10 best fish & chip restaurants
- Catch Fish and Chips West End, Glasgow
- Chipmongers, Portstewart, County Londonderry
- Eric’s Fish & Chips, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- Fish City, Belfast
- Fisherman’s Bay, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
- Fish ’n’ Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset
- Harlees, Westbury, Wiltshire
- Port & Starboard, Indian Queens, Cornwall
- The Cod’s Scallops, Market Harborough, Leicestershire
- What The Fish, London
Fry Awards competition organiser Reece Head said: ” We’re so pleased to announce this year’s winners. The awards recognise and celebrate the hard work, passion and dedication that these operators put into running their businesses.
“It’s been a tough couple of years for the industry, in particular for restaurants that have had to deal with closures, but operators continued to adapt, motivate their workforce and invest in new equipment and systems that have seen them come out the other side stronger and in a better position.”